Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Dude’s n Food

I've been living in Malta for a few years now and I like it here, pretty much. Of course there are some things I dislike and a couple that really piss me off but as a guest in this country I'll stick to one thing in this new blog and that is food.

Boy do the Maltese love to eat, which is lucky for me as I happen to share that particular pleasure as well. The Malta yellow pages lists over five hundred restaurants which seems a little on the low side to me, I'd guess there are well over a thousand, not including the kiosks and snack bars.

However how does one find out where to go and eat? Trial and error is fun but I recently rheard eating out in a new restaurant described as being similar to a blind date. You want it to be magical but a little insider information wouldn't hurt. Personally I couldn't agree more and enjoy doing a little research on where my dining dollars (okay Euros) are going to be spent.

When I first moved here I first turned to the ever present "The Definitive(ly) Good Guide to Restaurants" which promotes itself as "Malta's best-selling foremost objective survey-based restaurant guide on the island"...now there are a lot of words in that description. In my experience it's useful to a point but not really that objective, I've had a few pretty poor meals at some of the places it rates quite highly and there are no poor reviews, whilst I know for a fact there are plenty of poor restaurants, so where else might you turn.

I also found the far more objective "Mona's Meals", using Mona's blog I managed to find a couple of real gem's to dine at which have become firm favourites for myself and my better half. I can't say I agree with everything she writes but more often than not she gets it spot on. Mona has a style all her own, which you'll pick up on when you read her very well written articles so where can a dude find a relaxed unpretentious (well on occasion) guide to some of the more day to day eating establishments in Malta.

Well I don't know to be honest so I thought I'd add my limited input to the wealth of information already online. After all It might keep me out of the Pub for an hour or two which wouldn't hurt my waistline or my wallet.

The aim of this blog is to give you opinionated, honest reflections of some dining experiences that I've had. I can't say I'll avoid pretentiousness but I'll warn you when it's coming.

Right then, onto the food.

No comments:

Post a Comment