Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Kitchen – Sliema – December 2009

Date:                     Dec 2009

Pretentious Factor:     Public Schoolboy Level

Rating:            Well worth a visit

Category        Quite posh like!!!

Comments:    This review is from Dec 2009, again from another site I posted this to.


 


 

My Girlfriend and I ate at the Kitchen two nights ago). I have eaten there once before about two years ago and for some reason which I can't define have not been back since.

The restaurant is as I remembered it, very pine inspired decor however I am not an interior designer so perhaps I missed what they were aiming for.

The service was good, very friendly and relaxed. 

The wine list was a tad disappointing, very modestly priced Italian, Maltese and new world wines. You can find some decent wines to accompany your meal there but you wont find a bottle to treat yourself with if your intention was to celebrate something or other. Saying that we were out for a casual, impromptu dinner and I wasn't looking to deplete someone's stock of Chateau Lafite so we ended up with a really nice Semillion / Savignon Blanc blend which we both enjoyed.

Now onto the food. We started with a amuse bouche of a cream of vegetable soup. I thought it was okay but my partner loved it and would have been happy with a big bowl of that and a basket of warm Maltese bread. 

The starters arrived. I had a breaded fried egg with asparagus and prosciutto and the ball n chain had a ravioli of prawn mouse, My starter was absolutely superb, I can't comment on hers as it disappeared at a rate of knots. Both were beautifully presented.

The main courses were a fillet steak with a mushroom risotto and a flllet of salmon (I don't recall how it was cooked). Again they were absolutely excellent and the steak was cooked to my (but probably not the chefs) exact tastes (I like my steak slightly over medium).

Desert was a lemon tart which we shared, very good but not up to the standard of the starter and entree.

I walked out of the restaurant pleasantly surprised, I must admit I don't recall what I ate there two years ago when I last visited but it will definitely not be two years before I return as this meal was absolutely excellent, one of the best I've had in some time.

Its a shame about the decor, the pace does feel like a hotel lobby but the food was absolutely worth the visit.

If you are in the area and have an evening free I'd definitely recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment